So your ready to purchase a spa or swim spa. One of the first questions our customers ask is “How much does a spa cost to run?”.
This is not the easiest question to answer as there are many variables to take into consideration, such as:
- What’s the outside temperature?
- How much is your spa going to be used?
- How has the spa been installed?
- What is the quality of the spa’s insulation?
- What control system does the spa have?
As a quick comparison a spa with little to no insulation in a cold climate installed on a wooden deck will be considerably more to run than a spa with quality insulation in a warmer climate installed on a solid concrete slab.
In this article we will run through all the contributing factors than will increase or decrease your spa or swim spas running costs.
Many cheaper spas will have only minimal insulation. While this brings the cost of the spa down, it bumps the running costs up. Insulation is one of the biggest factors to consider when it comes to running costs. If you spa is losing heat from lack of insulation, the heater will be constantly running to keep your water warm. Heating your spa constantly can certainly become expensive.
Some spa companies also make you pay extra for a hard cover. A well insulated hard cover is a must for any spa as it stops a large amount of heat escaping through the waters surface. A spa without a hard cover will set your running costs dangerously high. At Oasis all our spas come standard with a lockable hard cover, and we certainly recommend they be used when your spa is not in use.
Oasis are proud to offer two levels of insulation in our range. Our standard series of spas still offer 5 layers of insulation, while our platinum series offer 7 layers.
Oasis Series Insulation
- Two levels of insulation on the cabinet panels
- ABS base to stop heat leakage
- Spay foam insulation on the spa mould
- Lockable hard cover
- Three levels of insulation on the cabinet panels
- ABS Base
- Insulation blanket across the ABS base
- Spa foam insulation on the spa mould
- Lockable hard cover
Another factor to take into consideration is the amount of pumps your spa has.